Bonnie Davidson, Kath Hamey and Debby Nicholls
150 years of Pubs in Balmain and Rozelle
The first hotel in Balmain opened in 1842 to provide refreshment for the occupants of the houses being built on the recently subdivided land, and from that time on, hotels provided a basis for the social and political life of the growing suburb.
At this time licenced hotels were open from 4am to 6pm and were required to have two sitting rooms and two sleeping rooms fit for public accommodation. In 1849 the closing hour was extended to 10pm.
This volume is an attempt to provide a pictorial history of all the hotels which have existed since the first residents moved into the area.